By: Matt Dantzler
While we often hear of stories about how sales people are not doing something right, here is a list of five traits that the most successful sales people have.
- Follow up. This seems like a “no-brainer”, but a surprising amount of salespeople give up after only trying to get a hold of an individual a couple of times. Varies studies and personal experience have taught me that it takes up to 10 contacts from initial conversation to close.
- Using multiple forms of communication. I can’t tell you the number of times that I have heard from a sales person “I emailed them a bunch of times and have not heard back from them”. Funny thing, not everyone communicates the same way. It is amazing how you can get a hold of some people with a phone call that do not respond to email and vice versa. Always look at all your communication options and use them all. Options are not just limited to email and phone calls either.
- Talking with a prospect after a lost deal. After a lost deal, they do not have a conversation with a prospect. Not winning a deal is rarely a pleasant experience. Most salespeople prefer to move on and not think about the deal. This is a mistake. Talking to your contact to understand why you lost the deal and if they may have any referrals for you can be very valuable. Don’t be afraid to follow up on a semi regular basis to see how the new product or service is doing for them, even if it is not yours. Don’t assume why you lost a deal, ask why.
- Continuing to sell during the holidays. Greatly reducing your selling efforts during the holidays, (December) can be one of the best months to close deals. Budgets are done or close to it, and prospects can have funds that they need to spend before the end of the year, or on January 1st. Tale advantage of lots of sales people taking this month off, it can be work to your advantage.
- Using social media for intel. A great deal of information can be found about your prospects on various social media platforms, take advantage of it. Do not overlook LinkedIn. LinkedIn can put your networking efforts on steroids and introductions to prospects can be made much easier.
Matt Dantzler is the President and Head Coach of TSC Telemasters Sales Coaching and Consulting. TSC Telemasters focuses on sales coaching for Inside Sales teams which has dramatically increased our client’s efforts in business development, lead generation, appointment setting and closing ratios. TSC Telemasters also works with start-up and small business owners in an advisory role as well as operations and other general business areas. Telemasters works with clients nationwide and can be found at www.telemasters.net Matt can be reached at email@example.com or at 913.534.8624